Sr. Police Officer II
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Are you a law enforcement professional looking to join a team
that's centered around our UPMC core value of Quality and Safety?
UPMC is excited to be hiring for multiple Police Officer
opportunities at UPMC Somerset. Schedules will vary.
Full-time positions are eligible for a generous sign-on bonus!
(external candidates eligible)
--- $1,500 sign-on bonus available with a two-year work
The Act 235 Certification is required prior to hire. The Act 120
Municipal Police Officer training is not a substitution for the Act
235. To learn more about Act 235 please visit
Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for
patients, visitors, staff and all UPMC owned and adjacent
properties. Enforces UPMC rules and regulations to both employees
and the public. Establish a uniformed police presence by patrolling
UPMC hospitals, buildings, grounds and associated areas to deter
criminal activity, investigate criminal events, document
activities, and take appropriate police action when necessary.
Monitors security, fire, and environmental alarms. Responds to and
resolves problems, disputes and unusual circumstances as necessary.
Provides customer service to patients, families, visitors and staff
to maintain a safe and secure environment. Serves as a first
responder to any violent act occurring at a UPMC location. Will be
armed with a firearm. Oversees the operations of assigned shift and
formally leads the daily operations of the department. Organizes
and assigns work, and provides daily instruction to staff regarding
specific duties and assignments.
- Ability to handle evidence control pertaining to UPMC initiated
- Responds to acts of extreme violence at UPMC owned or
controlled properties that have the potential to require the
deployment of deadly force as dictated by UPMC policy.
- May be required to support various types of investigations that
have system-wide implication
- Required to carry, properly handle, and be able to deploy a
- Tasked with the ability to issue PA state citations for certain
criminal and traffic offenses, using specific law enforcement
applications such as the PA Justice Network, and performing other
law enforcement duties as necessary.
- Investigates incidents of unusual circumstances reported by
UPMC staff, visitors, physicians and patients.
- Must be able to perform as a Security Officer when
- Appropriately escalates problems and concerns to Management's
- Will be responsible for the transportation of those subjected
to criminal arrest and subsequent prosecution
- May be required to serve legal documents such as arrest
warrants, subpoena, Protection From Abuse, etc.
- May function as a shift supervisor as needed to oversee the
operations of assigned shift and formally lead the daily operations
of the department, organize and assign work, and provide daily
instruction to staff regarding specific duties and
- May be required to provide support at various UPMC facilities
which would include: Detailed knowledge of the physical layout of
multiple facilities. Working knowledge of site specific policies
and procedures between sites. Ability to effectively interact with
differing management and customer bases from site to site.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Act 120 trained or equivalent (PA State Police Act Police
Academy training, Police Officer training as mandated by the
Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers) with 1 year of experience
in law enforcement or a security-related field preferred OR Five
years of prior law enforcement experience in which a firearm was an
essential tool and for which, at minimum, annual firearm training
and qualification was maintained
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, especially the
ability to effectively interact, communicate, and diffuse potential
combative situations with persons from all walks of
life.Psychological fitness required to deal with stress and
potentially dangerous conflict situations.
- Physical fitness requirements to deal with typical physical
demands that require full-body motion and physical strength and
stamina sufficient to respond to crisis interventions and medical
- Be able to effectively communicate both orally and in written
- Good interpersonal skills; able to deal with stress and
potentially dangerous conflict situations.
- All applicants will be subject to a thorough background and
criminal record check
- Must be available for all shifts
- Officers are required to wear a bulletproof vest.
- Must be able to perform as a security officer when
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Act 235 with successful completion of both the academic and
firearms training modules, required prior to hire
- Must meet audio and visual standards outlined in Act 235 at
time of hire.
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation - certification required within
30 days of hire.
- Act 31,
- Act 33,
- Act 34,
- Act 73
- Successfully complete UPMC Police Training upon hire.
- Successful completion of all UPMC mandated weapons and firearms
- Successfully pass UPMC Physical Fitness Standard: Physical
fitness requirements to deal with typical physical demands that
require full-body motion and physical strength and stamina
sufficient to chase, apprehend and subdue criminal suspects, and
respond to crisis interventions and medical emergencies.
- Must have good hand/eye coordination and able to pass an eye
and hearing test with appropriate correction.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform activities within a medium
physical demand category as per U.S. Department of Labor
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Driver's License
- UPMC Physical Fitness Standard
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMC's Total Rewards
package cares for you in all areas of life - because we believe
that you're at your best when receiving the support you need:
professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, we're driven by shared values that guide our work and keep
us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety ,
Dignity & Respect , Caring & Listening , Responsibility & Integrity
, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive,
positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan
members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.
Keywords: UPMC, Pittsburgh , Sr. Police Officer II, Other , Somerset, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!