Nurse Clinician- Center for Interventional Psychiatry
Posted on: October 15, 2021
UPMC Western Psychiatric
Hospital is hiring a Full-Time Nurse Clinician to help support
the Center for Interventional Psychiatry.
This position will work M-F daylight, 8 hour
The Center for Interventional
Psychiatry at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital provides treatment
options for neuropsychiatric disorders that require specialized
treatment. Our team of specialized professionals offer
individualized treatments for conditions such as; catatonia,
neuroleptic malignant syndrome, and hard to treat mania and
depression. In interventional psychiatry, the physician
"intervenes," or provides treatment to the patient who has not
received a benefit from standard treatments. The Center for
Interventional Psychiatry specializes in the use of ECT
(electroconvulsive therapy) and TMS (transcranial magnetic
stimulation). Experts at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital are
experienced in providing electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), which is
considered the most common treatment for drug-resistant depression.
ECT is a procedure under general anesthesia in which electric
currents (delivered through paddles) are passed through the brain,
intentionally triggering a brief seizure. Transcranial magnetic
stimulation (TMS) is an outpatient procedure used in patients with
hard to treat depression. This procedure is performed while the
patient is completely awake and seated in a chair. The magnetic arm
of the machine is placed near the front, left side of the head; the
machine sends magnetic pulses into the brain through this arm, and
causes it to create brief electrical currents.
The Nurse Clinician assists in
coordinating care for outpatient needs; including obtaining
prior authorizations, performing nursing assessments, filling in as
necessary in the treatment areas, and
assisting physicians within the Center.
- Attend a minimum of 6 educational meetings offered within
Institute or Outside Program
- Provides routinely scheduled staff education on clinical
- Role Models professional practice
- Participates in on-going review and development and provision
of Group Programming for the unit
- Have knowledge of psychiatric diagnoses and be able to
differentiate diagnosis on assigned patients.
- Participates in interdisciplinary meetings and other
- Monitors psychiatric, medical, psychosocial status of assigned
- Maintains professional communication with multidisciplinary
- Coordinates patient follow-up discharge plans and medical plans
with Social Work and Primary Medicine respectively.
- Actively participates in treatment team meetings.
- Has good organizational skills that leads to effective time
- Attend a minimum of 2 unit based inservices yearly
- Provides education and consultation regarding psychiatric
treatment, management, and psychopharmacology for staff
- Completes documentation according to established policies and
in timely fashion
- Acts as liaison between disciplines, departments, and hospitals
for assigned patients
- Maintain competency requirements
- Coordinates daily care for assigned team
- Utilize up to date practices/information in delivery of patient
- Rounds daily on team of assigned patients and/or discuss
patients with treatment team
- Initiates or reviews admission paperwork of all assigned
- Provides patient/family education around psychiatric
medication/diagnosis as needed.
- Coordinates and facilitates with MD and treatment team direct
admissions and DEC admissions as assigned
- Able to interface with various members of multidisciplinary
team members to coordinate all aspects of patient care.
- Leads routine therapeutic patient groups
- Assesses client from holistic perspective.
- Bachelors degree in Nursing or related field required
- MSN preferred
- Two years psychiatric nursing experience preferred
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
ANCC certification as CNS or ANP preferredPA RN License requiredCPR
required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and
skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
CCM training is required within 30 days of hire and annually
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Comprehensive Crisis Management (CCMC)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: UPMC, Pittsburgh , Nurse Clinician- Center for Interventional Psychiatry, Other , Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!