At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer
world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product
and service solutions around the globe.
Provides on-site support, training, and communication regarding
the reprocessing of surgical instruments and trays to contracted
facilities in compliance with the Department of Health, TJC, OSHA,
CDC, AAMI and AORN standards and facilities goals and policies.
Coordinates and manages day-to-day operations of SPD employees.
- Oversees and supports daily operations of all activities that
relate to the reprocessing of reusable medical supplies and
instrumentation including decontamination, cleaning, assembly,
wrapping, sterilization, and storage processes within all set
professional standards and regulations. Ensures proper operational
procedures are followed by all members of the STERIS Instrument
- Assumes responsibility, in collaboration with STERIS Instrument
Processing SPD manager, for scheduling new STERIS Instrument
Processing employee orientation, on-the-job training, in-service
education and STERIS Instrument Processing or facility quality
assurance programs when needed.
- Understands and promotes concepts of the Lean work
- Communicates in a professional manner both verbally and in
writing to all hospital staff and company employees.
- Exhibits professional behavior in all telephone and electronic
- Represents STERIS Instrument Processing, self and profession
positively in all public arenas.
- Practices within the scope of certification and job
- Supports and adheres to STERIS Instrument Processing policies
and procedures and supports policies and procedures of
- Refers all decisions beyond personal scope of responsibilities
to STERIS Instrument Processing leadership.
- Coordinates the repair and replacement of broken
instrumentation and equipment; may assist Clinical Operations
Manager in order process.
- Adheres to STERIS Instrument Processing / facility dress
requirements, is neat and well-groomed at all times.
Duties - cont'd
- Arrives at facility at the scheduled time and is consistently
ready for work assignments.
- Schedules, leads, and participates in in-services and
educational offerings provided by STERIS Instrument Processing in
- Promotes best demonstrated practices with co-workers through
open communication and continuous improvement of skills.
- Follows chain of command within hospital and STERIS Instrument
Processing regarding identified problems or issues to ensure proper
communication and resolution.
- Maintains a professional relationship with all facility
departments to ensure effective, efficient support to the patient
- Answers and responds to calls from the OR and other end-users
during and after regular business hours as required by the
- Ensures timely delivery of sterilized instruments to
appropriate storage locations or end-users.
- Demonstrates and ensures proper care and handling of all
hospital property, including instrumentation, durable medical
equipment and disposable supplies.
- Provides timely resolution to facility issues or concerns.
- Schedules staff assignments on a daily basis. Assists Clinical
Operations Manager with monthly staff schedule
- Assists Clinical Operations Manager to review all required
documentation related to STERIS Instrument Processing Standard
Operating Procedures and facility policies.
Supervision and coordination of sterile processing team.
- High School Diploma or GED
A minimum of three years Sterile Processing Department
experience required including at least one year in an SPD
Strong computer skills required including a working knowledge of
MS Word and MS Excel. Experience with an instrument tracking system
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Active certification in sterile processing/central sterile via
CBSPD or IAHCSMM required. If not certified at point of hire, it
must be obtained within 12 months of hire.
If assigned to travel, must maintain valid driver's license,
vehicle insurance and be available to operate a vehicle as needed
to meet travel requirements.
Other Skills and Abilities
Must have a good working knowledge of Instruments, the
operation/workings of the OR and be able to readily understand
their issues and requests. Be able to speak the language of the
Ability to act as a resource for staff in both SPD and OR
regarding identification and assembly of specialty instrument
Ability to train in all procedures regarding SPD
Ability to schedule and maintain department productivity in
order to provide necessary services within the set STERIS
Instrument Processing budget for overtime.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Ability to work daily in a fast- paced, high-pressure Healthcare
Ability to perform tasks simultaneously while maintaining
quality and controlling chaos.
Ability to work alternate shifts as necessary.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is
regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and reach with hands
and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit, stoop, kneel,
crouch, or crawl and talk, see and hear. The employee must
frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, push and/or pull up to
100 pounds on a cart or carriage.
Associate's degree from an accredited two-year college or
technical school preferred.
STERIS plc is a $3B, publicly traded (NYSE: STE) organization
with more than 12,000 employees worldwide.
STERIS strives to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.