Specialty Laboratory Tech
Company: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The UPMC Genome Center is a high-throughput sequencing
laboratory that is CAP and CLIA certified for clinical testing. We
perform pharmacogenomics testing and next generation sequencing for
patients at UPMC and offer clinical grade sequencing to
Provide authority, responsibility and accountability for the
accurate performance of laboratory testing of an advanced nature.
These tests are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients and
in the evaluation of a patient's response to treatment. Apply
competent clinical knowledge to achieve accurate clinical testing
which leads to quality patient care outcomes and develops and
perform clinical procedures using highly sophisticated techniques
and advanced instrumentation.
- Skill: Quality control/quality assurance. Core Competency:
Perform all required QC and document. Advanced Competency: Ability
to troubleshoot and solve problems. Ability to cover for
- Collect background information for testing/experiments; perform
test set-up; prepare instrument, work area, and equipment; ensure
validity of test specimens.
- Skill: Cell quantification/flow cytometry. Core Competency:
Perform accurate cell counts.Advanced Competency: Ability to
- Maintain detailed laboratory documentation of all experiments
performed and related data and submits written reports of test
- Communicate information gained from research projects in
seminars, conferences, in-services and continuing education
meetings; may publish research results.
- Participate in the design and methodology of research and
development projects, including how resultant data would best be
- Perform all responsibilities according to the philosophy of the
UPMC Health System such that the needs of our customers are
- Use reagents and supplies in a cost-effective manner; monitor
and maintain an appropriate supply inventory.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles, and
instruments and their interrelationships as well as physiological
conditions affecting test results.
- Maintain (as possible), calibrate and clean equipment; verify
proper function through standardization and controls; troubleshoot
and document minor instrumentation problems and repairs.
- Orient and instruct fellows, medical students and other allied
health care personnel in regards to laboratory research techniques
and methodology and clinical applicability of research theory,
practice and finding.
- Remain abreast of developments in medical research and care in
order that research conducted continues to be relevant; incorporate
advances and innovations as considered appropriate.
- Adhere to established laboratory and hospital policies in areas
of procedures, protocols, methods, quality control, quality
assurance, safety, compliance and personnel policies.
- Implement all quality controls to ensure test validity; adhere
to departmental safety standards in responsibly handling,
processing and testing specimens and materials.
- Skill: Data entry/report generation; Core Competency: Enter
accurate results into spreadsheets & generate reports;Advanced
Competency: Ability to maintain new software applications.
- Prepare multiple and various routine and non-routine clinical
laboratory procedures manually or by utilizing automated and
semi-automated equipment including highly sophisticated testing
- Assume responsibility for first-line supervision of the
section/department on a temporary basis as delegated.
- Skill: Autologous/Allogeneic processing. Core Competency:
Perform processings independently. Advanced Competency: Ability to
use independent judgment and advanced clinical knowledge to problem
solve unanticipated processing problems.
- Skill: Cryopreservation. Core Competency: Perform
cryopreservation procedures independently. Advanced Competency:
Ability to troubleshoot controlled rate freezers.
- Skill: Quality improvement. Core Competency: Review procedures
for accuracy.Advanced Competency: Ability to significantly revise
existing procedures. Work with supervisor and lab director to
develop, validate, and implement new procedures.
- Skill: Infusions. Core Competency: Perform all infusion
procedures independently.Advanced Competency: Ability to problem
solve at patient bedside (under pressure).
- Calculate and analyze assay/test results and quality control
information utilizing all relevant information including patient
histories, formulas or calculations, or computerized data
processing. Investigate abnormal results according to established
- Skill: Consultation. Core Competency: Consult with physicians,
principal investigators, nurse coordinators, floor nurses and NMDP
with regard to infusion dosages. Advanced Competency: Ability to
professionally assist clinical personnel with decision making.
- Interact with all laboratory customers courteously and
professionally; responds to telephone inquiries in a timely
- Skill: Liquid nitrogen maintenance. Core Competency: Maintain
liquid nitrogen vesselsAdvanced Competency: Ability to troubleshoot
vessel alarms with enough confidence to take on-call.
- Completion of Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited
college/university AND successful completion of a CAHEA accredited
Medical Technology program,
- OR Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited
college/university with a major in Molecular Biology preferred (for
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited
college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical
or clinical laboratory science AND categorical certification for
the specific specialty by the ASCP,
- OR Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited
college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical,
or clinical laboratory science AND at least 2 years experience in a
role equivalent to that of a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) in
a clinical laboratory,
- OR equivalent education and experience as defined by CLIA 88
and PA Bureau of Laboratories for technologist performing high
- Minimum 1 year's experience in a ASHI-accredited
histocompatibility laboratory preferred (for
- Minimum of 2 year's experience in either a clinical or research
laboratory preferred (for Molecular Diagnostics).
- Medical terminology knowledge and laboratory information system
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Keywords: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh , Specialty Laboratory Tech, Other , Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!