Medical Assistant - IRMC Physician Group
Company: Indiana Regional Medical Center
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Promotes a professional practice image by the efficient
performance of a variety of clerical and clinical related tasks
designed to facilitate the smooth flow of patients and work
throughout the organization. Assist the physicians with the
examination and treatment of patients and perform routine tasks
needed to keep the clinical office and clerical office running
- Greets patients and escorts them to the examination and/or
- Takes vital signs (height, weight, and blood pressure) at each
visit and accurately transcribe results in patients chart. Update
patient history and documentation of tobacco use, allergies,
medications and immunizations.
- Removes, dressings and staples as required, prepares patient
for examination, test(s) or procedure(s).
- Prepare and assists provider with examinations and procedures
including appropriate room set up as needed. Obtains necessary
signed consent and correctly completes ABN form when needed.
- Performs point of care lab testing and patient treatment as
ordered by provider. Reports and records results accurately in the
medical record. Follows all procedures to maintain compliance with
- Maintains and re-stocks clinical supplies for back office.
- Organizes and keeps a running inventory of medications in med
rooms and refrigerator (routinely disposing of expired medications
as warranted). Maintains daily logs of refrigerator temperatures,
performs quality controls within the specified time frame.
- Cleans and scrubs down rooms and counter tops nightly and when
- Prepares and cleans non disposable equipment/instruments for
- Adheres to OSHA guidelines.
- Reviews charts for next day appointment; checks for pending lab
or diagnostic test results at the end of each business day; obtains
said results prior to the patients scheduled arrival.
- Completes physician orders for ancillary tests, surgeries or
specialist referrals ordered and scheduled as directed. Obtains
necessary insurance authorizations.
- Documents all pertinent patient information into the electronic
- Travels to other IHPS offices when needed to cover
clinical/clerical when requested.
- Performs any other services deemed reasonable by physician or
- Schedules and manages appointments. Routinely updates patient
information: change of address, phone numbers, insurance or person
to notify. Registration to include patients preferred pharmacy,
race, ethnic background and preferred communication.
- Verifies medical insurance eligibility on each patient prior to
or upon check in.
- Collects co-pays, payments from patients and provides receipt
to every patient; maintains payment log, balances at end of day,
correctly enters credit card payments through Emdeon, and prepares
deposit slip daily.
- Reviews charges on encounter form for accuracy and correctly
enters into computer system.
- Retrieves messages from answering service/machine/voicemail
each morning, right after lunch and throughout the workday.
- Answers telephone within three rings, screens and directs
incoming calls and messages to the appropriate party, answers
patient inquiries either in person or on the telephone within the
limits of his/her knowledge and medical practice polices. Documents
pertinent information given or received in patients medical
- Maintains all patient information using the electronic health
record to include but not limited to orders, scanning, tasking, and
prescription refill requests.
- Schedules patient appointments according to office policy.
- Follows confidentiality and security rules when providing
information to outside sources.
Experience and Education: Completion of accredited medical
assistant program or a multi-tasked professional with at least two
years of experience, preferred in performing front and back office
activities in a medical environment. Current CPR certification.
Knowledge: Basic medical front and back office procedures and
medical terminology; first aid measure; equipment, supplies and
instruments used in a medical office; simple routine clinical
laboratory methods; universal blood and body fluid precautions;
OSHA rules and regulations; established protocol for storing
poisons, narcotics, acids, caustics and flammable items,
restrictions imposed by various managed care carriers, various
forms inherent to profession; patient confidentiality regulations,
usage of computer systems, insurance authorizations, referrals, and
Abilities: Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with
staff members; create a responsive caring environment for patients;
respond promptly to physicians directions; maintain medical records
in a concise and accurate manner; employ correct aseptic techniques
in preparation of instruments & equipment; react quickly in
emergency situations; recognize and prevent possible safety
hazards; ensure proper maintenance of equipment; communicate
clearly and facilitate patient education when warranted; act as
advocate and assist physician in meeting the physical and mental
needs of patient; exercise independent judgment; perform functions
that consistently fall within the legal boundaries of
The IRMC Physician Group is proud to maintain a great work-life
balance & company culture, competitive salary & benefits, and
career advancement opportunities.
Keywords: Indiana Regional Medical Center, Pittsburgh , Medical Assistant - IRMC Physician Group, Other , Indiana, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!