With over 80 years as an industrial technology leader,
Kennametal Inc. delivers productivity to customers through
materials science, tooling and wear-resistant solutions. Customers
across aerospace, earthworks, energy, general engineering and
transportation turn to Kennametal to help them manufacture with
precision and efficiency. Every day approximately 10,000 employees
are helping customers in more than 60 countries stay competitive.
Kennametal generated nearly $2.4 billion in revenues in fiscal
2019. Learn more at www.kennametal.com . Follow @Kennametal:
Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Lead the operations function within the Infrastructure busines
segment to support the business strategy aligning the manufacturing
capabilities to exceed customer expectations and ensure consistent
execution in safety, quality delivery and cost. The VP of
Operations will drive continuous improvement through the
implementation of best practices and a standardized manufacturing
operating system within a Global matrix organization that involves
5 business units, approximately 20 manufacturing sites and a
Corporate Advanced Integrated Manufacturing organization that
provides supply chain, quality and engineering support.
He/she will drive Infrastructures operations strategy as a
competitive advantage through footprint optimization, manufacturing
efficiency and technology transformation through the adoption of
innovative manufacturing tools and processes.
This role will be responsible for the successful performance of
manufacturing operations, maintenance, quality, EH&S, planning
and talent management activities related to the Infrastructure
portfolio of businesses.
Key Job Responsibilities
• Develop a vision for Operations across Infrastructure segment
to support the business strategy
• Develop and implement the Operations strategy and roadmap for
all Infrastructure businesses and sites including footprint
optimization and rationalization
• Establish an operating system that ensures consistent
operations practices across our different sites
• Drives operational improvement through the implementation of a
disciplined process to measure plant performance and corrective
• Implement a continuous improvement process and best practices
to ensure competitive and reliable operations across businesses and
• Leads the planning and implementation of innovative, cost
effective, safe manufacturing technology processes and techniques
which will deliver sustainable year-over-year decreases in
operational costs and increases in overall efficiency.
• Responsible for the effective implementation of EH&S
practices and culture, which prioritizes communication and
preventive actions resulting in a safe work environment at all
• Inspires and motivates staff to ensure a high level of
employee engagement and create a positive work environment that
consistently exceeds site performance metrics
• Drives the alignment and prioritization of capabilities with
business unit leaders and Advanced Integrated Manufacturing
organization across product management, advanced engineering &
quality to meet short- and long-term operational needs.
• Develops and leverages strong relationships with key
commercial stakeholders and customers to exceed customer
expectations in quality and delivery in a sustainable manner.
• Leads the delivery of innovative, cost effective, safe
manufacturing technology processes and techniques which provide
sustainable year-over-year decreases in operational costs and
increases in overall efficiency of Infrastructure manufacturing
• Drives and promotes synergies between facilities, drives
standardization and adopts best practices across business units and
• Leads and drives the deployment of Kennametal Operations
System including implementation of Lean and continuous
Education, Work Experience, Skills, Certificates
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Engineering Operations
related discipline is required; an advanced degree is
• At least 15 years of experience dealing with Manufacturing
transformation including culture change, technology integration,
footprint consolidation, global product production movement, and
• Demonstrable experience of leading an operations function with
a proven track record in strategic manufacturing leadership
delivering effective manufacturing strategies, driving efficiency,
policies, processes and systems.
• Experience in leading in a global matrixed environment.
• Proven management skills with the ability to optimize team
performance and development.
• Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to
engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers at all
• Strong project management skills. Must be able to work as a
sponsor and serve as a team leader on multiple projects.
• Demonstrate comprehensive experience in process design and
development. Has taken lean manufacturing/6 Sigma knowledge to the
next level and developed leading-edge processes.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Nearest Major Market: Pittsburgh
Job Segment: Operations Manager, Engineer, Social Media, Lean
Six Sigma, Operations, Engineering, Marketing, Management