Assistant Director of Residence & Student Life - E
Company: Chatham University
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job DescriptionAssistant Director of Residence & Student Life -
Eden Hall CampusChatham University welcomes applications for the
position of Assistant Director of Residence & Student Life - Eden
Hall Campus. This is a 12-month, live-on position responsible for
supporting the mission of Chatham University, the Office of
Residence Life, the Falk School and Eden Hall Campus, and the
Division of Student Affairs. The Assistant Director provides
creative vision and leadership for the management and oversight of
residential and student life at the Eden Hall Campus. As the
Assistant Director, you will serve as a student affairs
administrator with primary responsibility at Eden Hall for the
delivery of student affairs programs and services (i.e., residence
life, commuter programs, and student engagement). The position
serves and manages all aspect of the Eden Hall on-call duty
rotation and involves high student contact and evening and weekend
hours. The Assistant Director's primary manager is the Assistant
Dean of Students, and the secondary manager is the Manager of
Campus Integration & Community Governance - Eden Hall Campus.
Chatham University strives to promote a campus environment that
understands and embraces multiculturalism while increasing
individuals' intercultural competence. We actively work to build
and sustain a diverse and culturally vibrant campus, which promotes
employee and student success and retention.Chatham University's
Eden Hall Campus is the world's first university campus designed to
be a showcase for sustainable solutions. Built from "below the
ground up", Eden Hall is an experiential campus that provides an
interdisciplinary living-learning laboratory designed to support
collaboration between leaders and learners, academic and business,
and the arts and sciences to address sustainability and social,
economic, and environmental issues. The Assistant Director should
be committed to building a diverse array of programs and
initiatives that encourage and promote student learning, success,
and retention at Chatham University and the Eden Hall Campus.Duties
- Participate as a committed team member of the Student Affairs
and Eden Hall staff in university, division, and school committee
work, projects, and overall campus and community development
- Serve as the primary campus administrator for residential and
student life at Eden Hall, including oversight for the following
student affairs functional areas: residence life and housing,
commuter services and programming, and student engagement.
- Supervise, select, mentor, and train undergraduate and graduate
- Aid with the management and oversight of the residence
life/student housing program, explicitly providing direct direction
for residence life functions and services at the Eden Hall Campus,
which includes managing student housing assignments, operations,
and occupancy; residential programming, living-learning
communities, and community development; and resident student
success and support initiatives and general well-being.
- Coordinate and partner with offices to manage and implement
programming, activities and events that address the holistic needs
and interests of Eden Hall student populations (i.e., commuters,
residents, undergraduate, graduates, etc.).
- Serve as a student conduct officer responsible for meeting
with, educating, and sanctioning students found responsible for
violating the Honor Code, Residence Life policies, and university
- Address student safety concerns and work with Public Safety and
Eden Hall security to resolve community issues and increase
awareness and visibility among students.
- Coordinate, oversee, and participate in the Eden Hall on-call
duty rotation. This includes being a first responder, providing
crisis and emergency response, and coordinating on-call training
for staff in the duty rotation.
- Instruct 1 section of SDE 101 (Strategies for Student Success
in College) in the fall semester. Mentor and supervise a Success
Coach GA and maintain knowledge of university resources to help
students navigate barriers.
- Serve as an ad hoc member of the Cougars Care team related to
student support and wellbeing for Eden Hall students.
- Address student academic, personal, and social issues and
concerns in a timely manner and provide primary leadership for
resolving resident student disputes through conflict resolution
methods; identify themes and priorities in student issues and
report to Eden Hall campus and Student Affairs leadership with
recommendations to address them.
- Engage in residence life and student affairs policy research
and development and provide recommendations to manager and
university leadership based on student needs and current trends in
- Collaborate with colleagues and offices to create opportunities
for students to increase their engagement through activities,
leadership opportunities, and special projects.
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested and
assigned by the Assistant Dean of Students, Manager of Campus
Integration and Community Governance, and the Vice President of
Student Affairs & Dean of Students.Required Qualifications
- Master's degree in higher education administration or related
field, or a combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional or graduate work experience
in residence life, student development, and/or campus
- Must be detailed oriented with excellent planning,
organizational and management abilities, have strong
nurturing/interpersonal communication skills both verbal and
written, ability to maintain positive customer service relations,
and continuously helpful attitude.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and social
justice and tact and diplomacy in handling sensitive and/or
confidential matters required.
- Possess an understanding of student development, supervisor
experience and a commitment to improving the lives of students' the
ability to work in a team-oriented environment with emphasis on
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm in stressful situations,
including conversing with upset students and family members.
- Excellent organizational, oral, written, and on-line
- Ability to multitask, meet established deadlines and
demonstrate initiative and flexibility. Preferred Qualifications:
- Interest and relevant experience in sustainability and the
- Experience in event planning and program management.
- Demonstrated understanding of, and a strong commitment to,
customer service and a student-centered experience.How to
Apply:Interested candidates should visit www.chatham.edu/careers
and follow the instructions to complete the application process.All
documents should be uploaded at the same time at the time of
application.Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
Persons of color, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities,
and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged
to apply. Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
sexual orientation, age, or national origin.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Keywords: Chatham University, Pittsburgh , Assistant Director of Residence & Student Life - E, Executive , Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!